Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Jaw Dropping Experience.........

The Georgia Aquarium graciously hosted a Blogger's Day event yesterday and I was one of the recepients of a pair of tickets to enjoy the wonders of the sea featuring...............





This was an awe inspiring exhibit based on reality and education. These fascinating giants have been around for over 400 million years. So much to see and learn. Truly a fun and educational experience!


No photography was allowed, so the following 3 photos were courtesy of the Ga. Aquarium:





A sneak peak at what you'd get to see when you go........



Planet Shark: Predator or Prey will feature:

  • Full-scale shark models cast from real specimens, including an 18-foot Great White shark caught in South Australian waters – the largest caught by recreational fishing.
  • Extensive collection of real shark jaws, teeth and fossils dating back 350 million years
  • Shark cages and authentic artifacts from the movie "Jaws"
  • An amazing "frozen in time" display featuring a real, frozen 700 lb Bluefin tuna and its natural predator, a real frozen adult Mako shark
  • Stories on human/shark encounters as told by survivors and shark experts
  • An examination of their size, biology, hunting strategies and amazing sensory systems
  • Detailed information on the Great White shark satellite tagging program and other conservation efforts
  • Captivating high-definition displays and hands-on experiences that demonstrate the behaviors and relationships of sharks

Planet Shark: Predator or Prey is being
presented through a new partnership
between the Georgia Aquarium and Grande
Exhibitions - an Australian-based producer
of museum-quality exhibitions. This
fascinating 12,000 square-foot exhibition was
created by a team of experts in the fields of
sharks, aquariums, ocean cinematography
and world-class exhibitions.

Enjoy the sea life I was able to capture with my own camera:






I like to think of these jelly fish as nature's take on modern art. I couldn't get enough of them... so etherial and captivating........






















































Need a little "staycation" this week? Go to the Georgia Aquarium... it will take your breath away!

18 comments:

The Muse said...

WOW...
and
Gasp...
and
YIKES....
and
WOW...

Spectacular!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I have heard wonderful things about the Georgia Aquarium. Your pictures were beautiful. Love & blessings from NC!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

WOWSO! Great tour, Great pics, what a neat place to go! Wish I was closer, I love this kind of stuff! Just takes you to another world. Thanks for taking us along....Cindy

Joyce said...

We went also and am posting later today. Since we are there often we only did the Shark exhibit which we enjoyed and the main tank. Place was jumping with crowds. Glorious day so we headed over to Legal Seafood for some chowder for lunch and then walked around. I hope they do this again next year. It was a treat!
Joyce

Chatty Crone said...

Hello,

Nice pictures - can't wait to learn my new camera! I have it just waiting for the battery to come.

We went to the aquarimun too!

You got some great pictures.

Sandie

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Great photos! My son has been to the Georgia Aquariun and he LOVED it! Now I want to go!

Lou Cinda :)

Tardevil said...

Great pictures, Rose. I know so many people from here that go to visit that one. I think it has more than the one in Myrtle Beach, just based on your pics, I've never been. I've always thought it I had my wedding to do over, I'd have my wedding reception at an aquarium. It's so calm and soothing!

Justine said...

Wow Rose, this aquarium looks amazing! An 18 foot great white? Holy crapola!

The pictures you got are incredible. I can't believe they're even taken through glass. It looks like I could reach right in and touch them!

Justine :o )

Gypsy Purple said...

Oh wow....

Chatty Crone said...

I got an email from the same person who sent out aquarium tickets and the first weekend of March they have a Princess Diana exhibit in Atlanta – I put the details on my blog if you are interested. Two free tickets. Thought you might like to know. I'm trying to let all Georgia bloggers know. Pass the word.
Sandie

Sue said...

Hey Rose....it looks like you had a great time at the aquarium...Did you get your invitation this week to Bloggers Day at the Diana exhibit?....they are being too kind to us bloggers all of a sudden....and how exciting next week will be....The New York Housewives on Thursday night....then the flea market with ME!! on Friday....How lucky can you get....

bj said...

This is one of my favorite things...aquariums!! I love them and any time we are near one, we go. The best one I've ever been to is in Corpus Christi, Texas...and the one in Dallas is wonderful, too.
Thanks for all the great photos...
So glad you had a good time.

bj said...

Hi, Rose,
Thanks so much for stopping by. I've missed you!!

As for your question ...I've been pretty skinny all my life. I weigh more now than I ever have. The "middle age spread" hit me a little late since I'm waaaay past middle age! :O)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have been to the aquarium, but it was when it was pretty new. Need to go back again. Did not know about the Ga. blogger thing. Of course I am new to bloggy land. I love the pics of your beautiful home. I see you like color like me. Those santas you make are extraordinary!! Come by and visit your Ga. neighbor when you have a chance....Kim

Peg said...

Your photos are fabulous. I will have to show them to my granddaughter; I think she will like seeing all the fishies! Sounds like you had a better experience here than at the cooking school with Sue and Joyce! Ha ha!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

We haven't made it to the Aquarium yet! Your gorgeous photos make me want to go soon!

Manuela

Rettabug said...

This looks like it was almost as much fun as going to lunch at the CIA with SUE!! LOL Both had to be kind of scary (not Sue...the sharks & the security guards) What fun you guys have!

I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your photos of your mantel. The birds & winterberries are just perfect after Christmas decorations. Well done!

Thanks for stopping by the Gazebo House.

EmBee said...

I am SO going to the Aquarium on my next visit to Hot-Lanta!
:-)